Kirk and Carrie's Most Excellent Adventure

Hello Family and Friends! Thank you for visiting our blog. Life has been very full the past few years and will be getting even fuller with the next baby's arrival! We are happy to be able to share our milestones with you through our blog, especially for family and friends who are far away.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Twin Cities, MN

Friday, January 09, 2009

Baby Makes Four!

We welcomed Victoria Taylor to the world on December 7th. I had contractions off and on the week before but they always went away. Saturday the 6th though, they started around 4pm and were consistent. At supper time we knew this was it! I was so big and thankful that labor had started on its own. The next Tuesday we had an appointment for an ultrasound and were going to discuss how much longer we were going to wait. I REALLY didn't want to be induced because I think it can lead to complications and interventions so I had been trying tricks to get labor going. I had acupuncture on Friday and my chiropractor (who is awesome) bet that I would go into labor the next day and then have the baby on Sunday. He was right!
After supper we started getting prepared. At about 10pm we called our wonderful neighbors, Jo and Darryl, to let them know it was time! They came over to stay with Julia and we headed out. I was admitted and was dilated to 4cm. I felt great, I used the breathing techniques from the Hypnobirthing method and had bought one of their relaxation cds to listen to. I felt so calm and ready. I got to 6 cm and sort of stayed there for quite some time (not sure how long because Kirk hides the clocks so I don't dwell on how long things are taking). The baby was pretty high when I was admitted and while I was stuck at 6 cm, she made her way down. I was in the tub during part of the time. When I did move from 6 cm, though, things moved quickly! I kept asking to get checked and the nurse was a bit reluctant but was always surprised with my progress when she did check. I surprised everyone when I made it to 10 cm, they hadn't told the doctor to come yet! When I could push, everyone got really excited and the baby was right there, ready to come out. I thank the breathing for helping Tori move down my birth canal without me having to push yet. I only had to push for 10 minutes, she even popped in out a few times which made the doctor nervous. Then Tori was here and was just beautiful and alert! I remember her eyes just darting around looking at her surroundings. I could tell she was a smart cookie! She weighed 7 pounds 9 ounces and was 20 inches long. Because she came out so quickly, she had some bruising on her face and her right eye was red from hemorrhaging. She was beautiful nonetheless and just perfect!
The rest of our hospital stay went flying by and I tried to rest as much as I could. We had visits but I tried to limit too many, I knew with a busy toddler at home that this was my chance to get some alone time with Tori and to rest. The nurses were great and the first night they let Julia help with Tori's first bath and even let Julia take a bath. Julia did great at the hospital and not surprising, charmed all the nurses.
Thanks to Jo and Darryl, my mom, and Kirk's parents for helping us with Julia - we are so grateful for the help. Our transition from 3 to 4 went great and we are enjoying our new family member so much!!!
So this isn't the most flattering picture of me but I like it because it was during labor and I just felt so great.




First cuddles


Julia meeting Baby Tori


Our family






The nurse our first day was so great with Julia - she let her help do Tori's exam




Tori with Grandma Theresa and Grandpa



Looking cute



Tori with Grammy and Grampa




First day






Look how little I am!



Holding the baby by herself for the first time


Kirk with his girls



Jana and Tori



This was the day I called Kirk at 4am to come to the hospital to help me so I could get some sleep - Tori was upset about being gassy so didn't sleep much that night and the nursery sent her back because she was too loud and they couldn't calm her. She's a rowdy one already!



Looking adorable



Tori in all her sweetness




Getting all bundled up to go home



Big sister kisses



Julia not looking so sure about actually bringing the baby home




Julia put on a little performance to entertain the group the first night at the hospital - she can be quite the ham! Especially with encouragement!

First video of Baby Tori

1 Comments:

Blogger carey said...

YAHOO!! Way to go, you guys! And I can't thank you enough for your advice and loaning me some maternity clothes...oy, that helps a TON!!!! :-) THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! Now go enjoy your beautiful, new addition! :D

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home